- 1 Why should I visit Enchanted Rock?
- 2 Is Enchanted Rock Open?
- 3 How long does it take to walk up Enchanted Rock?
- 4 How much does it cost to go to Enchanted Rock?
- 5 Has anyone died at Enchanted Rock?
- 6 Is Enchanted Rock dangerous?
- 7 Is it hard to hike Enchanted Rock?
- 8 Can you go to Enchanted Rock without a day pass?
- 9 What will happen to Enchanted Rock over time?
- 10 Can you walk in to Enchanted Rock?
- 11 What do you wear to Enchanted Rock?
- 12 Where should I stay when visiting Enchanted Rock?
- 13 Is there fishing at Enchanted Rock?
- 14 Can you drive through Enchanted Rock?
Why should I visit Enchanted Rock?
Visitors have been coming to Enchanted Rock State Natural Area for centuries and it remains one of the most popular things to do in Fredericksburg. It offers park camping, picnicking, 8.4 miles of hiking trails, a nature trail, interpretive exhibits, rock climbing, cave exploration, watchable wildlife and a park store.
Is Enchanted Rock Open?
Gate open daily: 6:30 a.m. – 8 p.m. If you have a camping reservation and will arrive late, you must contact the park before 5 p.m. to get the gate code. To guarantee entrance reserve passes online, or by calling the customer service center, before you visit.
How long does it take to walk up Enchanted Rock?
Enchanted Rock takes about an hour to climb. Pretty much one way up and down. There are other trails in the park, but didn’t hike those.
How much does it cost to go to Enchanted Rock?
$8 per day, per person 13 and older. OFFICE AND GATE INFORMATION: The park is are open daily at 6:30 AM and closes at 8:00 PM. Day use visitors may use the park until 10 PM, when all day-use permits expire.
Has anyone died at Enchanted Rock?
Enchanted Rock State Natural Area: two deaths, one in February 2014 and one in August 2015. McKinney Falls State Park: five deaths—two in 2013, two in 2015 and one in 2016.
Is Enchanted Rock dangerous?
To the northeast side of Enchanted Rock is a cave formed by exfoliated boulders, a popular feature with many visitors. ” There is an exit on the backside, but it’s a real steep, dangerous area,” says Enchanted Rock superintendent Ray Sierra. “The best thing to do is back out the way you came in.”
Is it hard to hike Enchanted Rock?
Climbing “The Rock” is roughly equivalent to climbing the stairs in a 30- to 40-story building, and while it’s not particularly dangerous or difficult, I would label this a moderately difficult hike if for no other reason than to warn away non-hikers.
Can you go to Enchanted Rock without a day pass?
We limit visitation to protect the natural and cultural resources, to preserve the natural experience for you, and for your safety. The park closes to visitors without reservations when we reach capacity. Guarantee your entry into the park by reserving a day pass up to 30 days before your visit.
What will happen to Enchanted Rock over time?
One billion years ago, this granite was part of a large pool of magma, or hot liquid rock, perhaps seven miles below the earth’s surface. It pushed up into the rock above in places, then cooled and hardened very slowly, turning into granite. Over time, the surface rock and soil wore away.
Can you walk in to Enchanted Rock?
no facilities on the Enchanted Rock itselfEnjoy! over a year ago. You walk on crushed granite for 300 meters then you’re on the granite boulder the rest of the time.
What do you wear to Enchanted Rock?
Tips for Your Visit to Enchanted Rock
- Arrive Before 8 AM.
- Wear Good Shoes.
- Bring Plenty of Water and Wear Sunblock.
- Wear Light Clothing.
- Prepare Your Kids for the Hike.
- Use Restrooms Before the Climb.
- Learn About this Rock Because it is Much More than the Eye can See.
- Read up on the History and Legends of Enchanted Rock.
Where should I stay when visiting Enchanted Rock?
Top 10 trending hotels near Enchanted Rock State Natural Area
- Comfort Inn and Suites Fredericksburg. Hotel in Fredericksburg.
- Wine Country Inn.
- Super 8 by Wyndham Fredericksburg.
- La Quinta by Wyndham Fredericksburg.
- Peach Tree Inn & Suites.
- Sunset Inn and Suites.
- Fredericksburg Inn and Suites.
- Hotel Kitsmiller on Main.
Is there fishing at Enchanted Rock?
Yes. We saw a couple fishing in a pond on one of the loop trails, and the pond was near one of the primitive tent camping sites. I would recommend having your Texas fishing license beforehand as tickets for not having a license can be quite expensive.
Can you drive through Enchanted Rock?
The number one favorite scenic drive, as voted by Texas residents, is Llano to Enchanted Rock. Enchanted Rock is a granite monolith with some of the most beautiful natural surroundings you’ll ever see. So, there you have it – three of the many stunning scenic drives in the great state of Texas.